The Nergena castle that stood along the Langesteeg, is named in historical documents from 1340 and was almost certainly owned by the Duke (Hertog) of Gelre. The castle stood by the peat-land of Rhenen and had an important defence position during the battle with the Bishop of Utrecht. The relationship between the Duke of Gelre and the Bishop of the diocese of Utrecht was often extremely hostile. They frequently fought their disputes out in the Gelderse Valley. On the Gelderse side lay a series of reinforcements, of which Nergena was one. Other reinforcements were: Tarthorst in Wageningen, Harsselo and Hoekelum in Bennekom, and Kernhem in Ede.
During the 15th century, the ‘old’ Nergena castle was destroyed. The hearth stone from that castle can still be seen in the “Look and Listen” museum in Bennekom. The mansion Nergena was later built on this site and at the end of the 15th century was owned by the Van Sallandt family. The inherited property went to the Van Wees and Van Balveren families, and was eventually sold in 1664 to Lubbert van Eck. His descendants occupied the mansion for 146 years; the noblemen Van Eck were all bureaucratic noblemen of Ede. In 1810 the house was sold by Samuel Baron van Eck, Lord of Overbeek and Nergena. Eventually it was bought by the then mayor of Bennekom, Theodorus Prins. He had the house demolished in 1830.
In 1952 the building of a new house was commenced in the style of the previous house, along what is now the Dr. W. Dreeslaan, for the national institute for the research of agricultural plants. The main building and side-buildings have more-or-less the style of the old house and are situated around the old “Big Pond” of Nergena. The building became occupied in 1954. Meanwhile the property has a private owner who intends to keep it’s emission as it was meant to be: a lovely historical national monument in which young entrepreneurs the chance find in which to succeed!